Friday, July 04, 2008

[TAMPA BAY RAYS MEDIA]
Media Approval Ratings: Joe Magrane
C'mon, you guys knew this was coming eventually...There is a general sense amongst some of our readers that all we do is bash the Rays media coverage. The truth is we actually admire most of the working media and respect most of their work. We just get a sense that the Rays media coverage can at times be lazy. Just because the Rays were a second-class team for many years doesn't mean we as fans deserved second-class coverage. So while our frustration can manifest itself at times on this site, we want to know what you guys think of various members of the Rays media coverage. Next up...Rays TV color commenter Joe Magrane...

What can we say about Joe Magrane? Born in a state we have spent a few years in (Iowa), Magrane won 6 games as a big league pitcher. As the Rays color commentator he can at times be "colorful". He can spend a little too much time breaking down pitching mechanics, and he is not very good at math jokes. Otherwise he seems to us to make a pretty good sidekick to the straightman (Dewayne Staats).

Anyway: Do you like the Joe Magrane? And let's hear your reasons in the comments...



Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger DirtbagFan said...

I said this before, Magrane is good because Staats doesn't let him get too far off track.

My son and I have learned a lot about pitching mechanics and the way that different pitches are thrown from listening to Joe, so I say... 2 thumbs up (which as you can tell is 75% more thumbs than I give the Marlins guys)

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Marlin commentators are the worse in all of the Majors. Hard to watch Marlin games because of them.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, let me say that I believe you have a great site and in particular "Playing a Little Pepper" is outstanding. However, even the best can sometimes miss the obvious. I travel a lot, and there is no doubt in my mind that Staats and Magrane are among the best teams in baseball. Staats is smooth, Magrane knows his stuff, and the by-play is often hilarious.

By the way, Magrane was an All-America selection at the U. of Arizona in 1985, and compiled a 56-67 Major League record with the St. Louis Cardinals (1987-93), California Angels (1993-95), and Chicago White Sox (1996). He finished third in the 1987 NL Rookie of the Year voting, helping lead the Cardinals to the World Series. He won the ERA title in 1988 while with the Cards (2.18) and the following year won 18 games, placing third in the NL Cy Young voting. I think he knows of what he speaks.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magrane is hilarious. At times over the past 11 years, he has been the best part of the broadcast. Yes, he says some ridiculous things, but I really enjoy tuning into him and seeing Staats beautiful hair. The only other everyday MLB broadcasters I have tuned in to (recently) are the Marlins and Braves, and both of those put me to sleep.

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just love Magrane. Dwayne and Joe play off each other so well, amazing chemistry between the two, and though I've watched literally thousands of games over the years, I usually learn something from Joe. And don't forget that "strapping young lad" Todd Kalas! Just a great all-around broadcast team and the Rays had better not let these guys EVER get away.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Clayton said...

Big Joe fan here as well. He makes me laugh a couple times per game and I think he gives some valuable insight into some of the strategic parts of the game, particularly pitch sequencing. I second the emotion that the Rays have to hang onto this crew.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to not be a really big fan of Magrane but after listening to the Marlins color guy and Tim Macarver over at Fox, I'll take Joe any day. Now if we could just trade out Kalas for Erin Andrews, we would easily have the best team in sports!

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Magrane, BUT he cost me a lot of money... I own 100 of his rookie cards...... LOL>>>>> go rays!!!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Possum Avenger said...

Prof -- Call off any honeymoon and please come back soon. I am going to gauge out my eyes if I have to read any more DRaysBay to get my Rays fix.

10:09 AM  
Blogger WiNKy Oconklin said...

+1 @ possumavenger

12:07 PM  
Blogger DirtbagFan said...

I agree... how selfish of Prof to go on his honeymoon and leave us to our own devices... the nerve of some people!!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum avenger nailed it on the head. Draysbay BLOWS.

Magrane is good.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DRaysbay suuuucks, Rays Index 4-LIFE

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home