King David Price Has Arrived
Click on above images to be taken to full standings, boxscores or schedule...
THE GOOD: David Price. Right from the start, Price set out to establish his fastball and succeeded. An easy 10 pitch first inning was all fastballs, and 41 of his first 43 pitches were fastballs. He did not give up a hit until the 5th inning and of the 4 hits given up in 5.1 innings, 3 were ground ball singles through the infield...Another bases loaded walk. The Rays continue to show an incredible ability to remain patient with the bases loaded...The Bullpen. Three relievers combined to limit the O's to 2 hits and no walks in 3.2 innings, striking out 6.
THE BAD: The offense. The bats came out sluggish, being held hitless until Aki Iwamura's bases loaded single in the 5th. This was against a journeyman minor leaguer that was making just his 3rd major league start. A pitcher that was just acquired earlier this month for a player to be named later that may or may not be a duck. In all, the offense managed only 3 hits and struck out 10 times. The offense was lucky that the O's pitchers struggled with their control, walking 8 batters.
THE TELLING: According to Baseball Prospectus, the odds of winning the division are now 88.8%.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA...
- Carlos Pena was named the AL's player of the week. [Rays Report]
- Carl Crawford is eager to get back on the field, traveling with the Rays on their current road trip. After meeting with Crawford, Joe Maddon wants to "see if [he] can move this thing along." [MLB]
- Her Rays thinks "Master of the Merm", Dewayne Staats should go mohawk for charity. If that were to happen, we would be more than happy to support the cause here at RI....Other things Staats should give up for charity: Vowels from his name, Joe Magrane's sense of humor, his son-in-law's closer status. [Her Rays]
- Gene Zalasko wrote an email to a writer for the St. Pete Times, apologizing for referring to the Rays as the "Tampa Rays" and saying the Rays play in Tampa. [St. Pete Times]
- In The Hardball Times' latest installment of "Anatomy of a player", they take a look at Scott Kazmir and compare him favorably to CC Sabathia, only younger and with more upside in his changeup. [The Hardball Times]
- The Yankees are still alive with 6 games to play and 3 games with the team they are chasing (Red Sox). Bugs and Cranks says Hank Steinbrenner has a plan, and part of that plan includes mohawks. [Bugs and Cranks]