And So It Begins: Rays-Phils, Game 1
Click on above images to be taken to full standings, box scores or schedule...
THE GOOD: Say it with us. The Tampa Bay Rays are in the World Series and it starts TONIGHT! It never gets old. We will be mumbling that to our selves all day.
THE BAD: Mrs. Professor scheduled a dentist appointment this morning. Did she not look at the calendar. Buck the heck! The most important day yet in Rays history and we are going to the damn dentist?!?!
THE TELLING: We stopped shaving when the playoffs started. This shite itches like a mofo.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA...
- Can anybody confirm that the Rays played a "Victory!" chant by Johnny Drama of "Entourage" on the jumbotron following the Rays win in game 2 of the ALCS? [Newsday]
- More Rays Index "jacked up on caffeine". We did a "Good/Bad/Telling" for the entire ALCS over at the Hardball Times. [The Hardball Times]
- We answered some questions about the Rays yesterday over at Balls, Sticks & Stuff. [Balls, Sticks & Stuff]
- Coolest thing we have seen all week? Maybe...Of course we went with "Seven Nation Army". (Thanks Brian) [More Cowbell]
- Sam Donnellon points out that Cole Hamels won game 1 in both the NLDS and NLCS and is as cool as they come. [Philadelphia Inquirer]
- Apparently we had some awkward ad placement on this site a couple of days ago...Fairly annoying, but still not as bad as all the ads for "Barry Bonds Ringtones" earlier this year. [Ed. note: We do not control the specific ads on this site. They are generated automatically based on keywords] [The 'Ropolitans]
- If you love Jonny Gomes...You will love this post. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Jonny Gomes is blogging during the World Series for his hometown paper. [Petaluma Press-Democrat]
- One USA Today writer is predicting a Rays sweep...Is it just us, or is this setting up well for the Rays. Most of the "experts" are jumping on the Phillies bandwagon because they want to be the "expert" that predicted the upset. Go ahead. Doubt the Rays. We dare ya. [USA Today]
- Like the Rays, the Phillies defense is a strength and could be the key to winning the series. [Philadelphia Inquirer]
- Scott Kazmir and Cole Hamel were picked 2 spots apart in the '02 draft. [Fox Sports]
- Rob Neyer says it is hard to find any weak links in the Rays lineup. [ESPN]
...perhaps not enough has been said for management's decision to move Iwamura from third base to second. Could they have known he'd be as good as he's been? I do suspect that Marchman overstates Iwamura's case somewhat, but that's beside the point. We come back to Epstein's notion about weak links, and it's almost impossible to find a weak link in the Rays' defense. Throw in a pitching staff that ranked second in the American League in ERA and fourth in strikeouts, and Tampa Bay's 97 wins begin to make sense...You wonder why everyone's picking the Rays to beat the Phillies? Probably because they don't have any glaring weaknesses and they play in the Big Boy League.
- Brittany Ghiroli has a story about Carl Crawford appearing at a pep rally at a local middle school. [MLB]
- The World Series is causing some trash-talking in the Kalas family. [Philadelphia Inquirer]
- When are people going to realize, that this isn't about "bandwagons". It is about thousands of baseball fans that have been yearning for a team worthy of rooting for. [USA Today]
- Yesterday we told you about a site breaking down the cheer squads for each team. Now the highly biased editor at Deadspin gives the edge to the Phillies girls. [Deadspin]
- Transcript from Joe Maddon's press conference yesterday. [MLB]
- Happy belated birthday to Gabe Gross who turned 29 yesterday. [MLB]
- If the Rays win the World Series, it is going to cost Vegas casinos a lot of money. [Game On!]
- It has been 9,276 days since the City of Brotherly Love won a title in one of the 4 major sports. [Philadelphia Inquirer]
- This column is a little confusing. Are they saying the Phillies will win the World Series because the Red Sox came back in game 5 and then JD Drew struck out in game 7? [Philadelphia Inquirer]