Longoria Living The Life In SoCal
Doug Krikorian of the Long Beach Press-Telegram sat down with Evan Longoria in Long Beach the day after winning the AL Rookie of the Year award. Of the topics covered:
- His preference for Monarch Clothes: "They have great stuff."
- Facial hair: "don't have any blades at the residence..."
- Dating: "he doesn't have a girlfriend at the present time."
- The World Series: "Picked a nice time to go into a slump..."
- Phillies fans: "the Philly fans get more personal with you than those from other cities...It's unbelievable the things they say to you. They must go to Facebook and find out about who you've dated..."
- Buying a home in SoCal: "he likes to entertain large groups of friends..."
- Rock Band and Guitar Hero: "I can do that at home for hours..."
- BJ Upton had successful surgery on the labrum in his shoulder and expected to be 100% by the time Spring Training rolls around. Joe Smith also reports that it is still not known if Troy Percival will require surgery on his back and/or knee. [The Heater]
- Joe Maddon had to interrupt his honeymoon in Italy to hold a conference call with the media about winning the AL Manager of the Year award...Poor Jaye. [MLB]
- Jon Heyman of SI.com has nominated Joe Maddon for Sports Illustrated's "Sportsman of the Year". [SI.com]
- Baseball America has released their Rays' "Top 10 Prospects" list. No surprises in the top 5. A little surprised to see two 19 year olds without any experience above short-season (Matt Moore, Nick Barnese), ranked ahead of Jeremy Hellickson. [Baseball America]
- Rise of the Rays has their list of Top 10 prospects (scroll past the Baseball America list). [Rise of the Rays]
- Fangraphs review a few of the Rays top minor leaguers from this past season and take a look at who is on the rise, who has fallen and who could breakout in 2009. [Fangraphs]
- Joe Smith has a response from the Cleveland writer that gave the lone first place vote to somebody other than Joe Maddon. [The Heater]
- David Chalk at Bugs and Cranks is none-too-happy that Joe Maddon was not a unanimous choice for AL Manager of the Year. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Even a Red Sox site was amazed that Joe Maddon was not a unanimous choice. [Sully Baseball]
- The Orioles will have "Baltimore" on their road unis in 2009. That leaves the Rays as one of only five ballclubs that will not have their locality (Tampa Bay) represented on their home or road jerseys. [Big League Stew]
- The Hardball Times takes a look at why pitchers like Chad Bradford are effective as sidearm pitchers. [The Hardball Times]